Intercultural Strategies Practice
Adaptive business practices and leadership skills are essential for success in our globally-interconnected world. Sound intercultural strategies are essential when developing new markets, improving stakeholder relationships, integrating or aligning international acquisitions, securing a strong leadership pipeline, or seeking synergies from greater cross-functional collaboration. To enable organizations to practice effective and successful intercultural strategies we have designed our Intercultural Strategies Practice.
Our Intercultural Strategies Practice helps our clients develop and implement nuanced leadership in a variety of business contexts. This is a 3-step process that begins with identifying your organizations desired objectives and carefully assessing specific success variables. Based on our findings in step-1 we then identify the target behaviors that need development and develop customized solutions and development programs to attain the organizations desired objectives. In our final step we work closely with you to implement these development practices through a variety of methods. For more about our 3-step process click here.
ThomasLeland has identified 5 key areas that are critical priorities for intercultural success. Our process focuses on these key areas to provide results-oriented, ethnography-based, and developmental and behavior-focused change.
Our Focus Areas
- Working Globally – develop the foundational awareness, knowledge and skill readiness of a workforce that needs to be effective in an increasingly international/global organization structure.
- Market-specific Strategies – develop the awareness, knowledge and skill readiness of a workforce that operates in- and across different national or regional markets.
- Global Talent Strategies – close gaps in your global leadership pipeline through calibrated talent strategies that engage, develop, and fine-tune the capabilities of your global talent pool.
- High-Performing Global Team Strategies – implement specific practices that build trust and cohesion among diverse team members, and ensure inclusive norms to guide face to face and virtual interactions that optimize results in a global environment.
- Intercultural Relationship and Business Development Strategies – implement specific attitudes and practices that develop strong stakeholder relationships and support your business development goals, including intercultural negotiation skills.
ThomasLeland’s Approach Provides:
A clear understanding of the desired client objectives and performance indicators guides us in configuring intercultural customized solutions. We assess the cultural risk and success factors to identify the specific relationship and interaction strategies required for success.
We leverage the insights of ethnography - the systematic study of culture that seeks to describe and compare the subjective realities and experiences of others. We identify, examine and apply these insights to specific global business contexts.
Developmental and behavior-oriented Change
We anchor the development of adaptive behaviors and business practices in understanding the core attitudes and belief system about differences first. We progress individuals and groups through distinct and predictable stages of intercultural readiness to apply skill sets that create the desired results.
Our 3-Step approach
Step 1: We carefully assess the specific success variables of your desired objectives
We ensure that we understand the specific success variables and performance environment through a careful assessment of needs and readiness of the target audience. As part of this process we conduct in-depth interviews and discovery, supplemented by custom surveys, and a formal assessment of the prevalent stage of intercultural maturity of the target audience.
Step 2: Development-oriented and behavior-focused design
Based on the step 1 results, we identify the specific behaviors and skills required of the target audience. We configure a comprehensive solution with an optimal blend of awareness, knowledge and skill elements as well as sustaining tools and technologies. We draw from our global pool of ThomasLeland resources, network of subject matter experts, as well as internal experts that reside within our client’s organization.
Step 3: Responsive delivery
We understand that delivery needs to be efficient and effective, based on time, format and media requirement of our clients. We work closely with you to determine the best way to deliver impact. We draw from different modalities, including:
- Private engagements (for executives)
- Individual and group coaching
- Shadow coaching
- Skill labs & workshops
- Embedded experts